Sitting in the Smoke in Bend
Smoke from the fires around Bend have finally made the air a little nasty here in Bend. Daytime temperatures remain stubbornly in the 90’s week after week, supposed to hit triple digits ( again with smoke ) this weekend, though thankfully temps do tend to drop to comfortable levels at night.
I continue to pass the time trying to figure how to paint with acrylics, as you can see from the image above. Still frustrating for me, I repainted the foreground in this painting about six times until finally settling for what you see.
Yesterday I had the final week of round four of my chemo treatments. Fortunately, still no nasty side effects to all these drugs and blood tests continue to show positive results. My trip last week to Portland’s Oregon Health and Science University Hospital for my transplant consult was a bit of a disappointment.
Traffic and access to the facility was a nightmare as I had been warned and the aged facility did nothing to inspire confidence. The myeloma specialist I had been assigned was young and had only been at the hospital two months, also doing little to build my confidence that this was the right place to be. I also spoke with the nurse coordinating the transplant procedures.
However, although it appears I would be eligible for the transplant despite my age, it turns out I probably will not be able to be admitted for the procedure because of my lack of a ” caregiver ” to assist with the post procedure recovery period. The transplant leaves one in a very diminished, vulnerable physical state, and after the procedure the patient stays in the hospital for the initial two weeks, then is released as long as they can stay close by the hospital and have a 24/7 “caregiver” to stay with them for another two to three week period until the patient is recovered and strong enough to take care of themselves. This person provides the recovering patient with transportation to and from appointments, does shopping and cooking as well as household chores and is on hand to contact the doctors if anything goes wrong during those first couple of weeks out of the hospital.
This “caregiver” is normally one’s significant other, not a professional, and my lack of such a person makes me ineligible for the procedure. Since I can travel and could have the transplant done anywhere, I checked out the “caregiver” requirements of other facilities and found that it appears to be a universal requirement. So far I have not been able to find any paid professional caregivers for hire and, even if I did, probably could not afford it since insurance doesn’t cover this type of expense. It appears my best opportunity for long term survival is probably going to go by the boards.
As it is, my oncologist is still kind of up in the air as to whether I should have a transplant or should just go on a maintenance drug regimen since I have responded so well to the chemo treatments to this point. He is consulting with a couple of myeloma specialists in Seattle to come up with a possible alternate program for me that would not involve the transplant procedure. Again, I have to just wait and see. I am now scheduled for two more rounds of chemo, moving my move out of Bend date to early November.
Thank you for shopping Amazon from my site!
When you click ( on the image below) through to shop Amazon from here, I get a tiny commission, one that does not in any way impact what you pay, and all those tiny commissions eventually add up and that helps me keep this blog going !