Route 20, Rockport to Diablo Lake
Rainy weather has finally caught up with me!
It rained all last night and today. I had originally hoped to just sit here in Rockport and wait out the rain, since the trip east on Route 20 appears to something one would want good weather to experience, it has to have some pretty spectacular mountain scenery. But since the campground is booked solid for the weekend, I drove east on Route 20 today for about 60 miles to scout out the route.
As always, click on any image for a larger, sharper version.
This road must be one of the most spectacular waterfall viewing routes anywhere in the spring when winter runoff is flowing !
It seems like there was a new waterfall every mile as I drove east along the river. Since we are now at the end of a very dry summer, most of these waterways down the steep slopes that hem in the roadway are presently dry beds, choked with logs and flood debris, but they must be something to see come spring. I think it would take a long time for a photographer to drive this stretch of highway in the spring.
There is a long, steady ascent for the next 30 or so miles on Route 20 east of Rockport, but nothing terribly scary so far as the motorhome is concerned … it appears.
The highway is a wide, well maintained road with plenty of pullouts, several of which have dramatic overlooks of the Diablo Lake area.
The intense blue green color of the lake is caused by what they call ” rock flour “, the mountain itself, ground into a fine powder by glaciers, then swept down the slopes to be suspended in the water, reflecting certain color wavelengths that produce the turquois tones we observe.
I checked out the campground at Colonial Creek to see if that might be a destination for Friday night, but there were only three spots that might accomodate my rig, so it looks like I will keep on heading east to Twisp and look for a spot along the way.
If I can find a spot, I will then be able to backtrack route 20 in the Prius when the weather breaks, as it appears it might this weekend. I am planning on heading east and south down to the Palouse area to check out the farmlands, but the forecast calls for temps still near 90 degrees there until later in the week, so I am not in a hurry to get there, and would really like the opportunity to photograph the Cascades in all their glory when the peaks are not covered in clouds and mist.